Kitchen Sink Clogged Past Trap: Best tips to fix it
The clogged kitchen sink is a popular problem among homeowners. It’s common for homeowners to face a clogged sink to block the dripping water. Usually, this can be fixed without paying for a plumber’s services. You can fix any clogged kitchen sink yourself.
There is no way to avoid clogs in a plumbing system. Every plumbing system develops clogs eventually. Follow these proven techniques to keep them from forming in the future.
Clogged kitchen sinks are a natural occurrence, and at some point, you will need to perform a Google search to find out how to fix it.
Don’t worry – with a few simple tools, it’s an easy process and will save you money. It is not hard to clear clogs in the toilet if you use these tips.
If none of the following activities work for you, you should hire a plumber. Of course, if you follow these stuff, you may be able to solve the problem yourself. let’s start.
How to know whether Sink is clogged or not
If you have noticed that your sink drains slower than before, a small obstruction has formed causing your flow of water to slow down.
When the obstruction gets larger, it makes your sink stop draining water altogether.
Your sink’s drain is completely clogged when the water does not move and stands still in one place. This tends to happen because leftover food gets stuck in a pipe and doesn’t wash away. Slowly, the blockage becomes worse.
There are also other symptoms you might notice, such as leftover food floating in standing water or leaving a bad odor in the kitchen.
In addition to this, the smell from the clogged drain will spread throughout your kitchen and the rest of your house.
How to Prevent Clogging in Kitchen Sink
You should be very careful before putting anything down the drain. However, this is not enough; there are a lot of other things you can do, because every food can get stuck in the drain, but some foods stick in the drain more frequently.
A clog is naturally created by sediment, grease, coffee grounds, cheese, and other food particles.
* Ground coffee tends to stay solid when it gets stuck in pipes.
* Cheese spreads easily and speeds up the process of clogging
* Food can easily accumulate in grease and form a solid clog faster
* The grease in meats can stick into the sink pipes and cause a blockage
* While hair is not food, you will notice that most toilet drains become blocked due to hair. So, hair is a big reason that your sink pipe gets clogged.
Also read: How to remove Chemical Stains from steel sink
How to Avoid Blockage of Food
In case your sink gets clogged frequently, you can follow some steps to solve the problem. Don’t let garbage stick into the pipe so that your sink doesn’t accumulate clogs. Avoid dumping a few items down your drain to avoid clogging. Put the particles in a disposal can or cardboard milk container and throw it away later. You can also use a drain grate to prevent particles from going into the drain.
Pour boiling water down the drain after every use of your sink. The garbage that gets stuck in your drain will disappear after you pour boiling water into it. If you make sure to do this each time you use your sink, it will be easier for your drain to stay clean.
Tools Required to Fix Clogged Sink
Below is a list of all the materials and tools that you can get before you try unclogging your kitchen sink .
Kitchen Sink Clogged Past Trap : How to Fix Kitchen Sink Clogged
1. A half-cup to a cup of baking soda works well for clearing clogged pipes. For clogged pipes, baking soda is an excellent solution. Use a funnel to make sure that all of the baking soda goes down the drain locations properly. Let it sit there for three minutes to allow it to settle on the debris.
Aside from breaking up the debris inside the pipe, baking soda will also eliminate any foul smells from the decaying debris. Baking soda is a safe cleaner tan chemical cleaners which can be used without the risk of harming the environment.
2. As vinegar is acidic, it will dissolve any food residue blocking the pipe. With vinegar’s acid content, you can break up food residue or deodorize any odors coming from inside the pipes.
It is also a natural disinfectant, and therefore, any odors coming from within the pipe will be taken care of as well. You will see that it foams up and bubbles up as it breaks down the residue.
3. You should let the white vinegar sit on your pipes for 30 minutes to give the acidic reaction time to remove any leftover food.
You can then slowly pour hot water in your pipes to clean them of any food residue. For another option, mix white vinegar and baking soda just to make sure you’ve done everything possible. Pour boiling water over this mix a couple of times and let it soak.
You can also mix baking soda and white vinegar for another step before you move on to using tools. When you mix vinegar and baking soda, the carbon dioxide rises to the top of this mixture. This is what creates the foam and bubbles you see on the surface.
4. A plunger is usually recommended as the best method for clearing the clog – just place it around the sink so all of the lips stick, and push the plunger up and down ten times until the clog is successfully cleared. apply some pressure to clear the clog.
A rag can be stuffed into the overflow hole of a washbasin before plunging it. you may need to plug the other drain opening using a wet rag if there is a double sink in the kitchen.
5. If it’s still clogged after you have removed the trap of the kitchen sink, you should check the P-trap under the sink. Easily untwist your P-trap and look for the blockage there; however, be safe when doing so since water can spill all around.
Keep a bucket close by to prevent that. You will need some tools to get it out if you do not find it there.
6. You may be able to remove a clog by using a paper towel and your hand at the exit or entry of the p-trap. However, a clog that extends beyond the p-trap may require a plumber’s snake. Plumber’s snakes are designed to reach farther into pipes.
By rotating the tools inside, they unclog the pipes further. These tools can be inserted into pipes to clear clogs. They are then pulled out of the pipes.
Click here to buy Plumber’s Snake
7. Lastly, keep in mind that you can always use drain cleaners made for kitchen sinks if you don’t have one at home.
Most homeowners do not know how to do simple tasks that are necessary to keep their home in working order. One of these tasks is to unclog a kitchen sink. Make sure to try these tips before calling a professional and paying for the service. You might be feel surprised at the things you can achieve on your own. We hope this post has helped you troubleshoot your clogged kitchen sink.
If you have any questions or concerns about your kitchen sink, please contact us anytime. Thank you for reading, we are always excited when one of our posts is able to provide useful information on a topic like this!