Most of us have been stuck with a at some point in our lives. This is where stops draining, and we find ourselves with a flooded kitchen or .
In addition to this, it’s really disappointing when you realize you don’t know . This is the only way to fix your drainage problem.
The easy way to solve this is to hire a plumber.
However, homeowners can save money by learning a few basic plumbing skills, including , or how to clean out the .
Therefore, in order to understand how to deal with this annoying drainage problem, keep on reading.
What is a S S ?
- A is the metal component of the , normally circular in shape.
- It is mounted on top of the , and is operated by levers close to the handles that keep it open or shut.
- This circular portion is generally joined to a longer piece that extends inside the .
- If you have a buildup issue, you’ll need to .
- As soon as you take the off, it is easy to unclog the and at the same time.
Types of Stoppers
If you want to know how to remove the , you need to understand the different types, as it makes a difference.
The main purpose of all stoppers is to keep the or bathtub and to allow them to be easily emptied. in the
However, there are six types of stoppers.
If you know what type of . you have in your kitchen, it will be easier for you to replace it and remove it from the kitchen or
Here are some of them.
1. Lift and turn
- A small knob poking out from the ‘s cap can easily distinguish lift-and-turn models from other types of stoppers.
- There is a small knob which opens and shuts the drainage, depending on the direction it is turned.
- There is also an installation screw underneath the cap.
- This type is kinda tricky to remove, since the setscrew may be challenging to remove, particularly if it’s rusted or overtightened.
- Many individuals, including professional plumbers, mistake this end for a traditional pop-up in the because the design and use of the two are quite similar.
- In this model, the is located on the upper portion of the overflow plate, and a spring is used to open and close the valve.
- This is designed in such a way that dirt easily gets trapped inside.
- Although it has an elegant design, it is quite difficult to remove it or replace it.
3. Push and Pull Stoppers
- Push and pull models have a lot in common with lift and turn models.
- In simple terms, you can lift them up to open and push them down to shut.
- In contrast to lift and turn models, a screw is also found below the cap of push and pull stoppers.
- Instead of a pull or push mechanism, the flip-it includes a toggle lever that flips between two positions, allowing you to either open or close the .
- Easy installation makes this model suitable for regular or corner bathtubs, as it doesn’t need any tools.
- stoppers must be inserted into holes, and the seal created by the rings will keep the stable.
5. Toe-Touch Stoppers
- Toe-touch stoppers work like pull and push models.
- Although it comes with a , it’s pretty easy to install.
- It is simple to use , just as you would with a bathtub.
- With your toes, you simply push down on the to open or shut.
- It’s easy to keep the clean, but the needs to be changed after a while.
6. Trip Lever
- Among all the models, the trip lever model is probably the only one that offers levers on its overflow cover.
- Instead of the normal pop-up , a strainer is installed in the opening of the .
- As opposed to press-and-pull stoppers, and the rest of the plugs on this list, it’s difficult to clean this one, since both the overflow plate and tube need to be removed.
What causes stoppers to clog
You should remove your because you probably have clogged drainage due to clogging.
But what is blocking this ?
Let’s look at the most common causes of blocked drainage in bathrooms;
- Soap scum – soap scum is typically caused by a reaction between the soap ingredients and the magnesium and calcium minerals in . As a result, chalky deposits form on the walls of pipes with time. It is similar to hair, and it catches everything flowing into the system.
- Grease – Grease and cooking oil are the main things that clog kitchen sinks. sometimes and can also be the reason for blocked drainage.
- Hair– hair is usually the cause of clogged stoppers. Whenever hair is wet, it gathers together and collects all other materials being flushed down the .
As a first step, you’ll need to gather the tools that you’ll need in order to remove the .
Below you can find a list of the tools that you need.
- cleaner liquid (optional)
- Hair clog removal tool
- Wrench or
- Normal detergent
Step by Step Guide on
Step 1. Remove the by hand
- It is sometimes possible to remove some stoppers by hand without the use of any special tools or methods.
- All you have to do is lift the up and rotate it.
- Then you’ll be able to pull it out.
Step 2. Clear out the area below the
- In case the won’t come out, you’ll have to reach under the to get it out.
- Let’s start by clearing out everything that’s underneath the so you have enough floorspace to work.
- I recommend clearing out everything under the before we get started.
- You’ll be able to work much more comfortably if you have enough space to move around.
Step 3. Find the horizontal
- Put your flashlight on and try to look below the with it.
- After that, try to locate the that attaches the to the strap.
- You can easily identify the .
- It will be attached to the vertical strap, the part of metal that has holes in it.
Step 4. Find the clip.
- Once you find the rod and the metal strap to which it is attached, you’ll notice a small metal clip holding them together.
- Take the clip off the rod so that it is not in contact anymore with the strap and secure it in a safe place so it does not fall off.
- When removing the clip, remember which hole the rod fits into.
- It will make reassembling the clip easier.
Step 5. Take off the pivot nut.
- In addition, the rod end which you previously took out of the strap was connected to a pivot nut of some sort, and now that nut needs to be unscrewed.
- Once that’s done, you’ll have to free up the other end that is connected to pivot rod.
- Ideally, a bucket should be placed under the to hold any that may leak out during the removal of the pivot nut.
- Once you’ve got the bucket, you should attempt to unscrew the nut by hand.
- However, if the screw does not come loose, you will need to use or a wrench to undo it.
Step 6. Remove the
- Now you should able to pull the out of the .
Step 7. Replace everything
- It is time to restore everything to its original state after you have cleaned up everything and unblocked the , so simply reverse the steps.
- Replacing the is the first thing to do.
- After that, go below the and secure the nut again, using a wrench or as needed.
- After you tighten the nut, put the strap back on the rod using the clips you took off earlier.
- As soon as you have done this, come out of the and test the .
- As long as it rises and falls as usual when pushing and pulling the level, it is in correct alignment.
- After this, place all of the items below the , wipe them clean with a cloth, and the job is completed.
How to Clean the
- As a result of a , there is a high chance that the has been covered in and is extremely unpleasant.
- As soon as it is out of the , this is a best opportunity to wash it thoroughly.
- Remove as much as possible, and use a small brush to clean them.
- Once it’s out, it might even be a smart idea to wash it, a little bit more.
- You can clean it with detergent and a little bit of , followed by some warm or , so that it can soak before you use it again.
- When you replace the hair and ., make sure you pull out all the
- You can use the hair remover tool to remove the clogged hair.
- I am confident that you will be able to pull out a lot of the hair.
- Before you reconnect the plug, take a moment to clean the , especially if it was clogged earlier.
- Make sure you follow the steps on your cleaner, run it down the or and let it work its magic.
- Once you’ve let it sit for 10 minutes – wash it down with .
- If you can clearly see the flowing away from the , then you have succeeded in unclogging this blockage.
Tips to Consider While Removing the Sink Stopper
I have a few tips to make it easier to remove and replace the ;
Take action early
- No matter how well your as quickly as possible. works, you need to wash your
- Almost no one pays attention to clogged sinks, hoping they’ll clear up on their own.
- If you let the to slowly, it’ll continue to worsen unless you take some action right away.
- For that reason, it is advisable to clean the as soon as it starts draining slowly so that it does not become clogged or annoying.
Find the right replacement part
- Check your parts and make sure they’re the same, even if you’re just replacing a few parts.
- For this reason, it is advisable to take your old parts to your nearest hardware shop.
- When you bring your old parts to the store, you can find the exact fit.
Use a tray to store your fittings
- A tray is absolutely essential when you are performing any kind of procedure that involves removable parts.
- In other words, you might risk losing small, yet very important parts of the if you don’t follow this advice.
- Keep them in a bucket or tray so they don’t get damaged.
- It is always a problem when our sinks get blocked because of all types of , including hair and tangles.
- These are also things you shouldn’t touch with your bare hands.
- So make sure you wear some and don’t touch your with your bare hands.
Video Guide: How to Remove Sink Stopper
How to Protect Outdoor Faucets From Freezing
How to remove a moen bathroom faucet handle
How to mount undermount sink to granite countertop
How to Install a Farmhouse Sink
How to Wash Dishes in a Farmhouse Sink
Best Methods to Remove Faucet Without Basin Wrench
There is no doubt that knowing how to remove a is essential if you are a homeowner looking to save money on insignificant tasks like this.
As a bonus, this easy process will not only help you save money but will also improve your DIY skills in a remarkable way.
Clogged sinks may cause a number of serious problems in your or kitchen like reduced pressure in the kitchen faucet.
It’s possible that you could run into more problems than you thought, if the still remains clogged after you unclog the .
If you’re in such a situation, consider hiring a plumber.