Having the ability to understand how to remove Moen bathroom faucet handle will be beneficial if you need to replace any components that are defective.
While the brand has a reputation for reliability and durability, there may be occasions where the bathroom faucet handles need to be replaced due to leaking or mineral accumulation.
When it comes to removing the Moen bathroom faucet handle, you will need a strap wrench to loosen the mechanism on the bottom of the faucet handle by turning it with the strap wrench in a counter-clockwise direction.
Then you would need to remove the faucet spout with the help of a hex key. With the help of the hex key, you will be able to disassemble the faucet system and remove the C-clips.
It is no secret that Moen bathroom faucets are highly rated, and they come in a variety of shapes, finishes, and styles.
What makes these faucets notable is their high level of durability and dependability.
Sometimes certain parts of the faucet, including the handle, can develop a fault over time, and this is to be expected.
The main problem with a bathroom faucet’s handle is the accumulation of mineral deposits and the leaking of water.
If you want to fix a faulty handle, the easiest approach is to disassemble it and reinstall it.
The process of removing the handles from a Moen bathroom faucet might seem simple, however, it requires more skill and attention.
Do not force yourself to remove the handles too hard because you might damage other parts of the faucet.
Therefore, you must have some knowledge of what you are doing.
The purpose of this post is to explain how to remove a moen bathroom faucet handle without causing damage to any other parts of the faucet.
Let’s see them in a detailed manner.
How to Remove Moen Bathroom Faucet Handle
There is no easy way to remove a Moen bathtub faucet handle.
You can accomplish the task in minutes if you follow the steps outlined below.
The following is a step by step guide on how to remove a Moen bathroom faucet handle.
- faucet handle puller (optional)
- hex key
- flat-headed screwdriver
Step 1: Detach the faucet handle
- Get a wrench, and using that, grasp the bottom of the faucet handle with your wrench to loosen it.
- Then, twist in the counter-clockwise direction.
- You can remove the faucet handle trim with pliers.
- If you do not have pliers, you can also use a faucet handle puller.
Step 2: Take Out The Faucet Spout
- The stopper rod, which is usually located under the sink, can be easily unfastened by rotating it anti-clockwise.
- After you have unfastened the rod, you should slowly pull it out.
- After that is complete, insert a 5.5 mm hex key, directly into the hole that was previously occupied by the stopper rod.
- Please ensure it is tightened properly.
- The set screw should be unfastened and the spout should be loosened by turning the key in a counter-clockwise direction.
Step 3: Disconnect the Faucet
- This step should be done carefully.
- As soon as the spout has been removed, proceed to the next setscrew and use the hex key to unfasten it as well.
- The unscrewed and loosened key screws will result in a trembling and unstable faucet cartridge.
Step 4: Disconnect the C-clips
- The final step in removing the faucet is to remove the C-clips.
- As soon as you have unfastened each screw, take a look at the handles and see where the C-clip is located.
- Gently remove this C-clip from the handles.
- In order to do this, you will need to use a flat-headed screwdriver.
Steps To Take After You Remove Your Moen Faucet Handle
The following steps should be followed after removing the faucet handle:
Check the Faucet Cartridge:
- You may need to change your faucet cartridge if the handle is always sticky.
- Cartridges are typically located inside the handle of the faucet.
- The Cartridge looks like cylinder and needs to be removed after the handle is taken off.
- There is constant contact between the cartridge and water.
- As a result, minerals and other substances are constantly accumulating on the cartridge.
- Due to the build-up of minerals, the faucet handle becomes sticky as a result.
- In order to remove the cylindrical cartridge, you will have to use the lip that surrounds it.
- It is wise to use a plier for this. Having too much substance buildup on the cartridge could make it difficult to clean.
- Generally, vinegar should be poured over the plant and allowed to sit for several hours.
- After this, take pliers to the lip and pull it again.
Check the O-rings:
- You are now done with the cartridge.
- Now, You should inspect the black rubber rings in the faucet handle.
- Those rubber rings are known as O-rings in the plumbing industry.
- When you notice the O-ring is worn or torn, remove it and replace it.
- Additionally, I would recommend using a mixture of water and white vinegar to clean that faucet area.
- In case anything needs to be replaced, do it.
- The Moen bathroom faucet handle consists of many small components that are reasonably priced and easy to obtain.
Clean mineral build-up:
- Generally speaking, there is a buildup of all sorts of abrasive substances inside the handles of the taps.
- In fact, this buildup often makes the handle incapable of working properly.
- So, cleaning out the removed faucet handle is essential before it is replaced.
- You will need white vinegar to remove the build-up. Dilute water with vinegar in an equal ratio.
- Place the mixture directly on the opening of the handle, where it will communicate with the deck plate.
- Let that dry, then with a soft cloth, wipe down the handle.
- Don’t forget to clean all the parts of the handle that are dirty.
How To Remove Moen Bathroom Faucet Handle Without Screws?
I find that removing the Moen bathroom faucet handle without screws is simple in comparison to the one that requires screws.
Here is a step by step guide on how to remove a screwless moen bathroom faucet handle:
Step 1: Find the Caps
- A cap is usually attached to faucet handles without screws.
- Identifying and finding caps should be the first step.
- You can identify caps by looking around the sides to see if any are present.
Step 2: Remove the cap
- In order to take the cap off, all you need is a flat-headed screwdriver.
- In order to avoid damage to these caps, be very cautious when inserting the screwdriver.
Step 3: Take the screw out
- As soon as you have removed the cap, you will notice a screw beneath it.
- Remove the screw with a screwdriver.
Step 4: Take off the faucet handle
- After removing the screws from your faucet, you are now free to unscrew the handle.
- In most cases, you should be able to remove the handle by pulling it with your hands, but in case it doesn’t work, use the pliers.
- If you are still unable to take the handle out, use a faucet handle puller to pull it out.
How To Replace Your Moen Bathroom Faucet Handle
- As long as you are able to remove the handle from the faucet without breaking it, then you should be able to replace it without any difficulty.
- Just reverse the process you used to remove it.
- When replacing the handle, make sure that all the pieces you removed are replaced properly.
- This includes the O-ring and the cartridge.
- Before removing these parts, it is a smart idea to take a picture of how they are arranged.
- Thus, when you are finished cleaning, you can easily duplicate their positions.
- Turn the Screwless handle to the right rather than to the left in order to reinstall it.
In the event that you’re wondering how to remove Moen bathroom sink faucet handle, it’s a relatively straightforward procedure that can act as a helpful addition to your DIY skills.
The handles on most Moen bathroom sink faucets can be easily accessed and removed. In addition, most Moen faucets can be easily installed.
Please consult your faucet’s instruction manual for assistance if you encounter problems, or contact Moen’s online customer support department.
When removing or installing any faucet part, you don’t need to apply lot of force.
In addition to damaging the faucet parts, using too much force could also crack or break the sink countertop.
Particularly when using heavy tools like pliers or wrenches, this point should be kept in mind.